Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A non-LDS experience with angels?

(by Dan Peterson sic et non blog)

Last night, I began to read Marvin J. Besteman, with Lorilee Craker, My Journey to Heaven: What I Saw and How It Changed My Life (Grand Rapids: Revell, 2012).  In it, the late Mr. Besteman, a Calvinist banker in Grand Rapids, Michigan, who died at about the age of 78 in 2012, recounts a near-death experience that he claimed to have had while hospitalized for a serious illness a few years before.  I was struck by his description of the angels that he claims to have seen:

Suddenly, two men I had never seen before in my life walked into my hospital room.  Don’t ask me how I knew, but immediately I had a sense that these men were angels.  I wasn’t the least bit anxious, either.  (13)

Don’t ask me how I knew the two strangers who had just walked into my hospital room were angels; I just knew they were.  Beyond any doubt, these were angelic visitors, come to take me home.  (31)

Plainly, in his account, they didn’t look like a different “species.”

My angels looked like regular guys, except regular guys usually don’t wear white robes.  Both looked in their mid-forties and stood about 5’8″ to 5’10”.  One had longish brown hair, and the other one had shorter hair. . . .  Everyone has a mental picture of angels, and so did I.  When I had thought of angels before I actually met one, I pictured them as younger than the beings I saw.  I also thought angels were men and women both. . . .  And no, actually, neither one of them had wings.  (I know that’s what you were wondering, because that’s one of the top questions I get about my experience: Did my angels have wings?)  (31)

My angels looked like men I might see on the golf course, or at a hockey game, except of course they were wearing long-sleeved robes.  Their clothes were white and gauzy, almost filmy, but not quite see-through, and they hung about two or three inches from the floor.  Both angels wore ropes or long rags belted around their waists.  (38)

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2020/02/a-non-lds-experience-with-angels.html?fbclid=IwAR0ABPRW812h1ipMPFHIcvvg1TpQ98eHH6w1RpRHwq-hEZSndk2e1Om7SMw

No comments:

Post a Comment