Friday, July 27, 2018

Noravank Monastery - Armenia


(photo by Jacob Surland)

I was doing an image search for courtyards in Greece and Eastern Europe and this photo of an Armenian monastery came up and just jumped out at me. It looks so interesting, so small and square. I'm kind of fascinated with it.

If I knew someone from Armenia I would ask them to take me there someday.

From welcomearmenia.com

Noravank Monastery is one of the most spectacular tourist attractions in Armenia. The magic monastery is located in the south of Armenia - in Vayots Dzor province.  NORAVANK means NEW MONASTERY in Armenian.

Noravank is situated in a narrow gorge made by Amaghu River and is encircled by fantastic red rocks. The beauty of this monastery is appreciated by thousands of visitors not only because of it's architecture and history, but also for it's harmony with the surrounding fabulous nature.

Noravank Monastery is a masterpiece of the Armenian architecture. It was founded in the year 1205 by Bishop Hovhannes - the former abbot from Vahanavank Church.

(for more information follow the link)

http://www.welcomearmenia.com/armenia_tourist_attractions/noravank


No comments:

Post a Comment