Wednesday, December 1, 2021

This Winter’s Wood

 Tuesday December 8, 1835, Kirtland, Ohio. Joseph Smith the Prophet preached as usual in a meeting to his brethren of the Priesthood. He would describe the meeting “had great liberty in speaking. [The] congregation [was] attentive.” At the close of the services, Leonard Rich suggested that they gather firewood for the Prophet and his family.

Two days later, on a beautiful winter morning the brethren came together to chop and haul wood for the Prophet. In his history Joseph recorded,
They have also been very industrious, and supplied me with my winter’s wood, for which I am sincerely grateful to each and every one of them, and shall remember, with warm emotions, this winter’s wood by the Brethren, [and the] expression of their goodness to me; and in the name of Jesus Christ I invoke the rich benediction of heaven to rest upon them, and their families, and I ask my heavenly Father, to preserve their health, and those of their wives and children that they may have strength of body to perform their labors, in their several occupations in life, and the use and activity of their limbs, also powers of intellect and understanding hearts, that they may treasure up wisdom, understanding, and intelligence above measure; and be preserved from plagues pestilence and famine, and from the power of the adversary, and the hands of evil designing men, and have power over all their enemies, and the way be prepared for them, that they may journey to the land of Zion, and be established, on their inheritances, to enjoy undisturbed peace and happiness forever and be crowned with everlasting life in the celestial Kingdom of God, which blessings I ask in the name of Jesus of Nazareth.
And of the man who first suggested the service project, Leonard Rich, Joseph said,
I would remember Elder Leonard Rich, who was the first one that proposed to the brethren, to assist me in obtaining wood for the use of my family, for which I pray my heavenly Father to bless him with all the blessings named above, and I shall ever remember him with much gratitude for this testimony of benevolence and respect, and thank the great I Am, for putting into his heart to do me this kindness; and I say in my heart I will trust in thy goodness, & mercy forever.
Say what you want about Joseph Smith the man, but that is gratitude on a godly scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment